CALL FOR PAPERS
8th International Conference on
History of Medicine in Southeast Asia
to be held at the Centre for the Humanities and Medicine
The University of Hong Kong
Hong Kong HKSAR
12-14 December 2019
We invite scholars working on medicine and health in Southeast Asia to participate in the 8th International Conference on the History of Medicine in Southeast Asia (HOMSEA). As a global city with historic links to Southeast Asia, Hong Kong provides a critical site for exploring issues of inter-regional and transnational connections. The organizing committee welcomes contributions on any aspect of the history of medicine and health in Southeast Asia, including, but not limited to, the following themes:
• Ecologies (vectors and infectious diseases; environment(s); animal health)
• Governance (infrastructures; (post)colonial medicine; health metrics and big data)
• Borders (migrations; mobility; therapeutic travel; borderlands)
• Therapeutics (pharmaceuticals; alternative / complementary / minority medicines)
• Caregiving (children; ageing; end-of-life care; chronic and acute illness experience)
1. Individual papers: Submit an abstract of 300 words, together with a title, keywords, and a brief biography/CV (not more than 1 page, listing current affiliation, educational and work history, and publications).
2. Panel proposals: Submit a panel abstract of 300 words, together with a panel title, keywords, and a brief biography/CV of the panel organizer. Panels should consist of 4 to 6 presenters (proposals should include paper titles and abstracts of 150-300 words for each of the presenters with their names and affiliations).
Please send submissions in a Word file to Dr. Carmen Tomfohrde by 15 May 2019.
There are limited funds to subsidize some of the costs of participation for scholars from the Southeast Asia region, and for research postgraduate students. Please note that research postgraduate students will require a letter of support from their primary supervisors. If you wish to apply for funding, please click here, download the funding application form, and send it with the letter of support to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 15 May 2019.
Mehra Family Professor of South Asian Studies, Harvard University
Submission: 15 May 2019
Notification: mid-July 2019
Prof. Warwick Anderson, University of Sydney
Dr. Francis A. Gealogo, Ateneo University
Prof. Laurence Monnais, Université de Montréal
Prof. Robert Peckham, University of Hong Kong
Prof. Hans Pols, University of Sydney, Australia
Dr. Ria Sinha, University of Hong Kong
Dr. Priscilla Song, University of Hong Kong
Dr. Harry Wu, University of Hong Kong
More information here